Wednesday 28 February 2007

Midwifes & knitting

I went to see my midwife today, the first appointment since we found out about the Spina Bifida. She had a student with her, so we went through what had happened. She was reading out my results and the discription of our baby and mentioned that she had never come across anyone carrying a baby with SB before. She's a good and experienced midwife and has offered me support, but at that moment she made me feel very alone. Irealised again abnormal our situation is. I guess we have got used to the normalilty of our situation to a point, but I have to realise that other people will react and that is hard.
The good thing is that we are able to enjoy waiting for her to arrive and when other people react I have to remember that. She is our baby!

On a different note, some strange pregnancy hormone has kicked in and I have gone out and brought knitting needles and wool! planning to make a blanket. I had to take it into work to ask advice re casting on as I could not remember. My manager helped me... thats what they are for!
At present I have one slightly dodgy looking square completed, only 19 more to go!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I make sure that you saw about Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson as she announced her retirement from sport this week. She too has the condition.

Info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanni_Grey-Thompson

Hope this helps, thoughts with you.

Matt W.

Anonymous said...

My close friend at work had spina bifida. She didn't tell me this until last year. She's better than me at English, maths and sports much prettier and has three fantastic grown up kids !!!!
Love you two loads
Gerry and jason. xx

Anonymous said...

When you've finished making the basket, I could do with a new pair of gloves.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb."
Psalm 139:13

Thanks for keeping us updated as we pray for you as a family.

All our love

Richard, Rosie, Jonty & Gemma

Anonymous said...

Sorry I meant "blanket" - knitting a basket would be quite some achievement.

Take care both of you.

Richard J.

Anonymous said...

Knit one Purl one drop one oh no no Well done
Love Mary Cyprus X

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I read your blog to day and it made me cry.

Some sadness but mainly joy!

Not often are we privileged to see God at work so clearly in people's lives.

He must be surrounding you.

Best wishes,

Piers

P.S. I wonder if there is a knitting game on the Wii?

Anonymous said...

Hi Nic & Kathy.On a positive note Suzy Jeffery who lived in Ditchingham was born with Spina Bifida. She is a qualified nurse and happily married. God willing your little one will acieve as much if not more especially having such superb parents. Our love and prayers are with you and we are really looking forward to seeing the three of you. Cynthia & Keith Phillips