Tuesday 31 July 2007

Bad news delivered well - part two

We had a chance today to meet with the orthopaedic consultant who will probably follow Summer until she is 18. It was a chance to find out a little more about how the damage to her spine may affect her functionally. We always knew that she would have problems with her feet, bladder & bowels, but it seems that she will also have problems with her hips which was a bit more of a shock. I do not want to say what she will or will not be able to, as that depends so much on what Summer wants to do. It does seem that she will be a wheelchair user, but hopefully quite independent with that.

Are we disappointed? Yes… Does it change how much we love our little girl? No.

3 comments:

Brad said...

Dear friends,
I changed the calendar page this morning and this is what I read: You walk with me, you lead me, you defend me, this is my comfort. Lord, if you were not truly with me during these difficult periods, I fear I would give in to doubt. But your faithfulness strengthens me.
This is my prayer for you, that His Presence, His Guidance, His Protection will be your comfort. Rest in His faithfulness and let His strength course through you.
May the Father wrap His arms of love around all three of you and give you deep and abiding peace.
My love to you, Brad

Anonymous said...

Nic and Kathy

So far, this marvellous, strong and courageous little lady has thrown back everything medicine and nature has thrown at her with resilience and self determination.
I dare say that she will do the same with this new challenge, and it is with no doubt the the love and hope of her parents and friends will help her glide through it all...
No doubt she will continue to suprise you day in, day out for many a year to come!
love, Zoe x

Anonymous said...

Jason says:-
They told me I would never sit up or walk but being stubborn and determined has its benefits (although my mum sometimes wishes I was a bit easier to handle !!!)
Have you got Mr Furlong for your consultant like me? He's great.
Love to all three of you.
Jason and Gerry. x